Instructions on how to use the Metaphor Images tool.
Getting clients to share deeply personal feelings with a WIC educator they just met in only a few minutes sounds impossible, right? Metaphor images make it easy to uncover emotions and thoughts quickly, succinctly and powerfully. Here's short guide to using metaphor images in the WIC clinic.
- Place the metaphor images where the client can see all of them.
- Ask clients to select an image that says something about how they feel about a nutrition topic. (How their child is eating, weight gain during pregnancy, etc.)
- Ask: "What does that image say about how you feel about (topic)?"
- Use feelings as a springboard to an amazing conversation, wrapping suggested behavior change ideas in with emotions.
Why metaphor images are effective at revealing emotions:
- Ask a straightforward question and you might not get a straightforward answer. People have trouble saying their truth, especially if they are concerned about feeling judged.
- Asking clients to make connections between metaphor images and their experiences taps into the creative side of their brain where feelings and images live.
- Metaphor images help respondents access emotions and verbalize the rich information that they would be unlikely to share if asked a straightforward question.