Instructions on how to use the Doors tool.
We live in a world where logic is valued. People construct logical responses to everyday questions so that others will view them positively. But behind that logic, often buried, emotions rule. People need help to dig deep, discover and express what they truly feel. The Hopes and Dreams Doors are simple tools that can help clients reveal their feelings.
Here's a brief summary of how the "Hopes and Dreams Doors" work in the WIC setting. Detailed instructions can be downloaded at this link:
- Lay out the "Hopes and Dreams Doors" so clients can easily see them.
- Tell clients that these doors are special because they represent the hopes and dreams of all mothers (parents) around the world.
- Ask clients to select a door that says something to them about their hopes and dreams.
- Ask client to "open the door" and share what's behind their hopes and dreams door for their children and family.
Listen carefully so you can connect the clients' feelings with nutrition-related behaviors. Use phrases like these:
- Is there anything we could talk about today related to your child's eating that keeps you from feeling like the mom you always hoped you would be?
These doors allow you access to a mothers' deeper emotions. Once you know her hopes and dreams for her child, you can connect nutrition behaviors to what really matters to her. Wrapping each desired behavior change with hopes and dreams is a powerful way to initiate behavior change.
Here's why the "Hopes and Dreams Doors" lead people to express honest feelings and meaningful insights:
- People tend to forget themselves as they respond to the unique, but gentle questions, allowing for emotions to circumvent their usual desire to appear logical.
- Responses are more honest when they don't know what the "correct" answer is.
- People enjoy these tools because they are not "business as usual"
- People are able to share subconscious thoughts and feelings, which may be important emotional drivers related to the key behaviors